Versant Object Database Administration
Upon completion of this course a student will be able to apply the principles of database administration within a Versant database environment. They will be able to use their understanding of the Versant architecture and tools to successfully tune performance, diagnose and recover from problem scenarios, and plan for future needs.
- Database administrators responsible for the deployment, maintenance, monitoring, and problem resolution for a network of Versant databases.
- Application Designers/System Architects who want to design toward specific concurrency, scalability, and reliability goals.
This class can be taken at any time, but is best taken in the development phase, before deployment.
- Understanding of basic operating system commands for Windows and/or Unix.
- Understanding of basic object-oriented programming and design concepts.
- Prior experience with database administration.
- 3 or 4 Days
- Installation: file layout, environment settings, global configuration
- Understanding Versant resource usage: disk space, memory, and processes and threads
- Maximizing concurrency: locking, latching, data distribution
- Planning for recovery: backup and restore, logging, and roll forward archiving
- Performance tuning: statistics collection, adjusting the Versant configuration
- Designing a Versant database network: disk management, schema management, object migration and duplication
Instructor-led with hands-on labs that reinforce key concepts. Versant instructors use their real-world experience to reinforce the prepared materials.